Group Game

Polemical Game

Can we not talk about the protests at the dinner table?

Natalie Tsang

My family comes from Hong Kong, so the political conflict in Hong Kong is very significant to my relatives, so much so that it’s the topic for discussion every time I have dinner with them. I grew up in the United States and have never lived in Hong Kong aside from a couple months at a time during the summer, therefore I feel like I don’t deserve to say anything about the situation because I am not truly connected to the land. However, I stand firmly in the pro-democratic opinion, since I live in a democracy, while a lot of my older relatives are actually pro-police. When eating dinner with them, I hear them say a lot of negative things about the protesters and the youth generation in general, but I refrain from expressing my opinions because I do not wish to argue with my relatives, because culture dictates that I have to be respectful towards my elders. My polemical statement in this game is to reflect the powerlessness I feel in the dinner table setting, that I must hold my silence even when I have to hear the elders talk about things I disagree with. Using food bits as a points system, the player is rewarded for saying pro-police examples and punished for saying pro-protester examples. By including the ability to discuss both sides of the debate, I model both my real experience of listening to things I don’t want to hear as well as my dream to be able to freely say what I want to .

Twinner Takes All

Divya Narayan

Twinner Takes All is about the constant competition of having a twin, and the little things you feel as victories through life. Things you do are like collecting trophies, and though you want your twin to do well, you don't want them to do better than you. In this game you are collecting spots that are due to accomplishments and actions you do in life, which are stated on cards. You are able to remove other peoples spots, try to help your secret twin win, and create patterns for more points.

Get Out of My House: The Game Where You Get Out of My House

Christopher Ruiz

Through this game I wanted to address the hardships of my day to day life. Particularly, I wanted to focus on the frustration and helplessness that I feel everyday that I try to get out of my house. In fact, this is why I made the game so annoying and hard to complete.

Tainted Skies

Bryant Rahadian

A game based on a personal experience with air pollution during the summer of 2019. A four player board game where one player tries to get to the office from his/her home without suffocating to death, while three other players act as pollutants (vehicle emissions, smokers, and burning trash) to kill the person trying to get to the office.

Our Community

Jose Zeferino

Our Community is a four player card game that illustrates the struggle and sentiments the Latinx community faces in a country where stigmas and negative stereotypes overshadow any form of real portrayal of Latinxs. The game consists of four decks which three representing a unique Latinx community member that all go versus the stigma placed on Latinx communities that manifests itself as the president Donald Trump. Each side has the goal of winning over territory (territory cards) that both sides possess. Both sides start with five territory cards that start from each side leading towards the middle. Each side (the community of three players and the president) must use their cards to obtain Influence Points which is used to win over territory cards. Influence points act as as a means of getting people to side with your perspective, the public perception created through actions. A side wins when all ten territory cards are won over leaving zero for the opposing side. Each deck has a specific type of gameplay as to represent a certain person within the Latinx community and the president. The deck Zef is a representation of a Latinx member who cherishes family/ friends within the community and the same ideology is replicating with the deck being based on supporting the other two community players. The deck Orb has an aggressive approach to the stigma placed and so the deck for Orb has more point heavy cards aimed to obtain Influence points fast. Frodo deck is a representation of a passive look on the stigma with aim to empower the community against the stigma and this deck corresponds to deterring the opposing side with cunning card effects. The president has a deck based on very aggressive cards that have a lot of influence power which is aimed to end the game quickly. Each community deck is representative of some Latinx lives within the community but is not limited to those in the game. Despite these decks representing someone within the community, many of the thoughts resonate all over the community. Even so, there are many different and unique stories and ideologies held within the community alongside many different ways that the latinx community is affected by the stigma.

Print Battle

Casey Rickey

The screen printing industry is a highly competitive industry to own a business in. Competing against shops that have been around for a long time or hold a large majority of the market makes it difficult for small screen printing shops to not go out of business or struggle to obtain clients. In Print Battle, a small shop and a larger commercial/corporate shop will compete against one another while physically screen printing and aspects (advantages or disadvantages) of owning each shop type will become apparent.

The Scramble of a Second Grader

Madeline (Blue) Fisher

In "The Scramble of a Second Grader," the goal is to become the "Star Student" by the end of Year 3. To do this, you must achieve the highest score on the math exam. The outcome of the test determine is you are the "Star Student" or the "Worst Student." Then you play a round like it's a year of school as your designated role. There are cards that affect you positively and negatively on the next test, so it is your job to collect as many positive cards to achieve the role of the "Star Student" in the next round. However, there are cards that only negatively affect the "Worst Student" and cards that positively affect the "Star Student" on the next test. I wanted to show how the first test truly determines your role in all of the 3 years of game play to illustrate how through one test in elementary can screw up your whole education and make it is challenging to get ahead in life. At the end of the game, the student who was deemed the "Worst Student" at the beginning of the game would probably stay that until the end. There needs to be dramatic change in the US education system to better further young children learning.

Path to Victory

Kyron Shochat

Path to Victory takes a critical perspective on U.S. politics. By gamifying real life dynamics it emphasizes aspects of our political system to argue their absurd and undemocratic qualities. Players take on the role of political candidates going up against one another in an election. Each player must decide whether they will be a genuine or corrupt candidate which will affect their actions along the campaign trail. Candidates race to gather campaign resources which are converted into delegates. The first candidate to secure 5 delegates wins the game. Throughout the game players are building a “Path to Victory” physically with game pieces that form a path to the center of the board. The game intentionally caters to corruption and undemocratic practices to reflect they way these behaviors are rewarded in our actual political realm. The main message is that people and groups in positions of power exploit their position to maintain and accrue more wealth and power at the further expense of those who already have much less. Additionally, Path to Victory is meant to motivate players to reflect critically on how these themes of corruption and genuity apply to their own government’s politicians.

The (Messy) Thoughts

Megan Wu

The (Messy) Thoughts is a game referring to the contrasting thoughts of an individual who cannot begin any other tasks without first organizing and cleaning the space around them. This game focuses on how such a thought process often becomes a hindrance on the individual, and eventually takes a toll on their ability to complete other tasks that are more urgent or necessary. The game forces the players to experience the frustration of this state of mind, through the urgency of completing a designated task while also completing various hindrance activities at a timed interval. Designed through miniatures, the game scales down the idea of extreme organization in order to create the frustrations and hardships associated with this mindset. The design focuses the player on themselves versus their thoughts, which appear to become uncontrollable as the tasks become more exhausting.

Charity, Patience, and Devotion

Ann Suzuki

St. Mary’s Primary School lives by the motto “Charity, Patience, and Devotion”. To uphold the school’s reputation and values, you as a student must be the most perfect student you can be and knock out the competition. You must maneuver through desks and classrooms choosing wisely how you want to advance through each space. The student with the highest stress level at the end of the game wins.

In The Moonlight

Emma Doyle

In The Moonlight is a board game about helping lycans (werewolves) navigate through a mortal village in order to find shelter at a supernatural sanctuary. Lycans are a fanatical metaphor for those with mental illness. As both lycans in fairytales and people with mental illness in our modern society are depicted as monsters, villains, and cursed. In reality, both lycans and people who struggle with mental illness are people—just like everyone else, but they struggle with something many others do not understand, which leads to fear and stereotyping. The mechanics of the game were designed to simplify the ways people can break down mental illness stereotypes and start to understand and sympathize with those who struggle with it. Before you play, each player is gifted an attribute coin which depicts these stereotype destroying methods—kindness, education, and personality (connecting to someone). In the game, you go to a house and get a general first impression of the homeowner, you must choose a way you will try to connect them and ask them to help you—convince them you are not a monster. You must give away an attribute coin—take the risk and trust someone—in hopes that they will sympathize with you and help you on your journey to a safe place. Once the coin is given away, the coin you have chosen decides the probability of a dice roll. The dice roll reflects the idea that nothing is ever certain, and you can never be sure if you can trust someone with a secret. Yet, if you roll correctly, you will be rewarded and can safely continue on the quest to the sanctuary.

Let There be LIGHT

Nahee Hong

FINAL PROJECT LINK: http://users.design.ucla.edu/~hongn2020/LetThereBeLight/ This Game presents a perspective of my own experience of lucid Dream. When you go through a nightmare, the best way to escape is to turn on the lights. You must find 4 anomalies, that are unusual creatures that cannot exist in reality, in order to turn on the lights in the room. Once you find all 4 anomalies, the door to escape the room will open. In order to find these anomalies the player must pay attention on the instructions hidden in the room. The location of instructions and hints are indicated through lights. While searching through the room, the player must also be careful of the nightmare dolls which they will attack you if you are caught moving in their sight. Escape the room before the HP reaches 0. If you can’t escape, you are fallen into an inception of a never-ending nightmare. Once you find all the anomalies and escape the room, you arrive at another larger room, which you never know if you are “dreaming of waking up” or actually back to reality.

Color Kingdom Revolution: Abolish the Carceral System and Take Over the Kingdom

Jamie Gonzalez

The Color Kingdom Revolution: Abolish the Carceral System and Take Over the Kingdom uses fantasy to explore the unfair and oppressive conditions the carceral system possesses. Each princess is outcasted and marginalized through criminalization on qualities that deserve recognition and understanding. The game incorporates realities that make the effects of the carceral system incredibly unfair, like being timed to escape prison and rolling a die that may result in pulling from the Carceral System Effects; however it gives great care to the princesses who possess magical abilities, are supported by their communities, and through the game are able to defeat the oppressive institutions that have taken advantage of them.

The Bias in Me

Shreya Neogi

I am Indian and have been blessed to have the chance to travel many different countries. I love travelling and so does my family. We love to experience the thousands and millions of cultures that exist and appreciate what our society has created. When we come back home I always dread this one step. This step makes me ashamed and anxious to come back to a place I was born and have lived all my life. It is customs. I always see the way the police officers and others look at me and family. We look like arabs. We are fair and both my brother and father have beards. I always have this thought that they probably are suspicious of us. I don't remember a time we were never put through the full check line. Every time we get the border control receipts there always seems to be a black check over our faces. There are many thoughts that pass through my mind going through this process. Why should I feel out of place? Why is my existence being questioned as a citizen and a American? I always feel guilty. But for what reasons. I chose to focus on these experiences and create a Bias in Me based on this. I hope to bring out the assumptions people have on brown and colored people and make the audience realize how it feels to judge someone and for what reasons they do.

AlphaGro

Dario Apodaca

AlphaGro is an examination of interaction, wherein two player navigate a vertical environment, with asymmetrical movement mechanics, in an attempt to aggregate as much territory as possible before the next level unlocks. Borrowing form and scoring from the classic game 'Go', AlphaGro plays with a timeline of optics/materiality concerning both 'expansion' and 'containment' – a schizophrenic compost of aesthetic and mechanic principles.