Kevin | Reading Response 4

1|

In this week’s article, the author goes and tries to define the new contemporary type of game that is categorized as a “documentary game.” These games are games that incorporate real life events and successfully fuse them into a type of a video game. Many war games these days can be considered to be a “documentary game.” They depict what happened years ago and make it into first person shooting games with a narrative story plot. Honestly, I believe you can compare “documentary games” with documentary movies in which they both dramatize many of the events and definitely glorify it to a higher degree. Most of these games are simulations of what an individual would have felt during the real life event and the experiences that the individual had to endure. The audience is able to get a taste of what they had to go through

2|

These days, most of the consumers and audience looks for the “fun” level of the games. Without the game being fun, there will be no audience and the game will not sell. Games with the lack of a expression point of view may be thought as an element that can get in the way of the “fun-ness” of a game but honestly, I believe that a game does not need to have a point of view. Games such as Black Ops, which is very similar to Counter-Strike, does not have a expression or a point of view. Audience will mindlessly play the game until they are satisfied and stop playing if they are either fed up with it or the game is getting to repetitive for them. So I believe that a game can definitely be fun without a point of view. However, having a point of view will definitely enhance the game.

3|

A game that I think that has a very strong political or polemical point of view would have to be Call of Duty: Black Ops. I purchased the game to just mindlessly shoot NPC’s but I ended up getting sucked into a story plot that had levels of governmental conspiracies and different political problems. The thing that surprised me the most is that even the “extra” game of “Zombies” had a subtle emphasis on the government. You are supposed to gun down Nazi zombies and basically survive without getting ambushed by them.

4|

As I mentioned above, I definitely see a link between a documentary game and documentary movie. They both glorify certain events and have the audience be in the shoes of an individual who went through the event. The audience is then able to feel whatever the character is feeling and somewhat experience whatever that may have happened in the event. The only difference between the two is that the audience is able to control the outcome of any events in the video game whereas the audience is just spectating in the documentary movie. However, the both of them successfully deliver the experience of the event to the audience.

This entry was posted in Reading Response 4. Bookmark the permalink.