Professor: Vasa Mihichhome: (310) 474-1924
studio: (323) 290-3343
vasa at ucla dot edu (please include your phone number for response)
TA: David Leonarddleonard at ucla dot edu
Design 21 is a course designed for beginners and does not require any previous qualifications. The subject of this course is color as a means of communication.
There are three parts in this course: the first part focuses on developing fundamental skills in mixing and applying pigments with a brush on watercolor paper. In addition to painting skills the students will be introduced to the computer as a tool for working with colors. The combination of painting and software will be the predominant way of presenting ideas regarding color. The first part is devised to develop and construct the pre-theoretical skills necessary as a foundation for understanding and investigating color theories.
The second part of the course focuses on two major color theories. These two theories consist of the Munzell Color Notation system and the Josef Albers Color theories concerned with the interaction of color. In this portion of the course, students produce direct exercises from these theories and then apply those theories in their own creative work, but strictly within the conceptual framework of this portion of the course.
The third part of the course requires students to expand the strict theoretical relationship governing color to encompass color relation to words and photographic images. This part of the course expands the technical investigation of color beyond working with brush and pigment, and expects the students to include and investigate different possible color methods and reproduction technologies. Design 21 consists of approximately 12 projects. Each of the twelve will be assigned a grade upon completion. The course culminates in the construction of a digital presentation which will incorporate notions of time and color. The students final grade is based upon their effort, progress, participation and portfolio. At the end of the course, each student participates in a one on one conference with the professor where the final grade will be discussed and established.
(included in the UCLA DMA21 COLOR kit from Blick on Santa Monica)
- 11" x 15" Strathmore Acid free Watercolor pad, 400 series (brown cover)
- 18" ruler (metal with cork bottom)
- #11 Exacto Knife with replacement blades
- Palette Knife with
- 1" Masking tape, neutral color, NO OTHER COLORS than tan, 3M Scotch brand
- Drawing pencil (2b softness)
- 1 pair of scissors
- 1/2" Robert Simmons "Expression" E75 Acrylic/Watercolor Comb brush
- Size #6 Robert Simmons "Expression" E85 Acrylic/Watercolor Round Brush
- 2fl oz/ 59ml Liquitex Acrylic paint Acra Red #112
- 2fl oz/ 59ml Liquitex Acrylic paint Dioxazine Purple #186
- 2fl oz/ 59ml Liquitex Acrylic paint Ivory Black #244
- 2fl oz/ 59ml Liquitex Acrylic paint Phthalocyanine blue #314
- 2fl oz/ 59ml Liquitex Acrylic paint Phthalocyanine Green (blue shade) #317
- 2fl oz/ 59ml Liquitex Acrylic paint Prussian blue #318
- 2fl oz/ 59ml Liquitex Acrylic paint Cobalt Blue (Brilliant Blue Purple) #381
- 2fl oz/ 59ml Liquitex Acrylic paint Cadium Orange Hue (Brilliant Orange) #720
- 2fl oz/ 59ml Liquitex Acrylic paint Cadium Yellow Medium Hue #830
- 4.65fl oz/ 59ml Liquitex Acrylic paint Titanium White #432
- Plastic Container for water